Friday, July 30, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name

Has the word "Christian" become so baggage laden that it is time for those of us who follow Christ to stop using it as a descriptor?

Anne Rice seems to think so based on her recent comments on her facebook page. She isn't the only one.

One reason I chose the modifier "unconventional" in the title of this blog is that the word "Christian" all too often brings up a negative image and turns people off before they ever have an opportunity to find out who I am and what I believe. Like Anne Rice, I have to say that if being a "Christian" means being anti-gay, anti-feminist, anti-artificial birth control, anti-science and anti-life or if it requires being member of a particular political party or well pretty much any of the other crud that has gotten attached to that label then you can count me out as well.

After announcing that:
In the name of Christ I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

I like what she goes on to say in her status today.

My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become.

Thank you Anne for putting into words what I think (except for that whole Democrat thing, I'm a happy Libertarian thanks) but don't often articulate. I use the label Christian because it is familiar and convenient but I have begun to wonder if that isn't a cop out. If perhaps it is time for those of us who follow Christ to be willing to let go of the label "Christian" and to simply become known as He said we would be known. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another

Something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment