Friday, February 26, 2010

Let's talk about sex.

So a good bit of the Christian world is adverse to premarital sex.
And that's starting to make more sense to me, but not in a Christianity related sense. So many people lack the ability to just make a decision and hold their ground. To be able to do so is not only a great skill, but it means you share something ridiculously special with the person you're aiming to spend the rest of your life with (granted, you only have a 50/50 chance of staying married to them, but that's a different story for another day.

What I don't understand is why people make this a religious and moral issue though. Honestly, if somebody wants to have sex, it's up to them. God gave us our bodies, and they can do some pretty ridiculously cool things, and I know a lot of people my age really enjoy that. I don't think it speaks any less of them as a person if they're happy and enjoying their lives. The religious and moral issue to me seems to be a cultural thing, not a Biblical thing.

Let's face it - the Bible's scandalous. I recently read an article discussion how God uses "sexual deviancy" throughout the Bible (Tamar, Mary, Ruth, etc.) to yield good. The Bible celebrates sex, especially the Old Testament, and the lineage of Jesus, at least according to Matthew 1, includes several sex scandals.

Honestly, I'm starting to find most NT interpretation highly subjective, and I'm not about to let Paul/people writing in his name dictate my personal standards, but that's just me...

Anyways, sex is good. Personal preference is also good. Judging someone's morality or spirituality based on their sexual choices is not good.

So yeah, personally, I don't want to have sex in college. That's in part because of some bad personal experiences, in part because I respect myself enough to feel valuable without it, and in part because I just plain don't want to. But for me, that's not a religious thing. It's a me-thing, and I really feel like that's how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment