Sunday, February 21, 2010

God bless the punk hipsters.

I went to an absolutely ridiculous concert tonight in Philly.
4 bands. 120+ punk hipsters. A whole lot of forties. My best friend.

...and me.

For those of you who don't know what a hipster is, you're probably grown up and are above the new crazy stereotypes of my generation. Hipsters are basically trust fund babies who like to act/dress/seem poor for the irony. These were punk hipsters, which are actually middle class people with oodles of piercings who wear tons of plaid and drink forties of Mickeys and PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW GROSS) and they smoke a S*$T ton of cigarettes (another EWWWWWWWWWW). Girls are generally short, guys are tall. Lots of skinny jeans. It's a weird culture, but fascinating and oddly tribal upon closer examination, but that's another story for another blog.

So anyways, people mosh at these things. To dance like a punk hipster is to jump up and down and shove people into other people. I didn't actually know this before I went to this concert.

But we were on the 2nd floor. And the floor may have kind of started shaking and bouncing like crazy, and they had to tell everyone to quit jumping because the floor was going to collapse, dumping everyone into the all concrete first floor that was 15 feet below our feet.

Freaking terrifying.

So what does this have to do with God? It's random how the most ridiculous (and albeit terrifying) moments can remind you of your mortality and how wonderful it is to be alive. And it's also really cool to see so many different sorts of people with such different lifestyles and know that God loves them, too, forties and moshing and all.

God bless the punk hipsters. And thank God we got home safely!

P.S. I have a very shiny new pin that I got for free from one of the bands called Lee Corey Oswald. While this band name is admittedly a reference to JFK's assassin, the pin is shiny and it has a picture of a revolver on it. So not only did I get a God moment out of this evening AND an adventure with my best friend (who has promised not to take me to another one of these ever again :) ), but I got a very cool shiny pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment