Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A New Semester-Now with Extra Bible!

I just bought the Oxford Annotated RSV edition of the Bible.
Last semester, I bought the Oxford Annotated NRSV edition of the Bible.
They're remarkably similar, but the NRSV uses more gender inclusive language and is slightly less formal. I used the NRSV for a class on gender and early Christianity, and I have a class with the same prof. on the Intro to the New Testament.
I got the RSV for my English class on the Bible and Lit, and I am already obsessed with my new professor who is AMAZING. He laughs, he cries, he makes the text come to life. This is why I want to be a religion/English double major.

It seems silly that I bought another Bible. He said we could use NRSV, but the language wasn't quite the same, and he says that that's the important part (and it is an English class, that's pretty legitimate.)
I'm looking forward to seeing how the two editions differ. I'm considering it an investment in my future/a worthwhile use of my Southern Baptist Grandma's Christmas money.

For the English class, I'm reading 1/3 to 1/2 of the Bible (plus about a gazillion other things). For the intro NT class I'm reading all of the NT. That's a lot of Bible reading REALLY fast. So don't be surprised if I pop up musing about passages and things, or listing my favorite quotation.

My favorite quotation of the day: "God has made laughter for me" Genesis 21:6 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment