Friday, March 12, 2010

thoughts on the sexiest book of the Bible

I forget how SEXY Song of Songs is. If I smoked, I'd need a cigarette after reading it.

Admittedly, no actual sex occurs within Song of Songs, but the language and even the images and metaphors are incredibly erotic. Not to mention a garden setting which of course evokes thoughts of Eden. And that it can be read as a great covenanted romance between God and Israel makes it all the more beautiful. The fluidity, the inconsistencies create this almost surreal, dream-like state for readers, not just the characters within. Yes, I'm not giving any specifics right now; you're more than welcome to read the book yourself though, and you'll see what I mean! But it also is almost midnight at home in the Mid-Atlantic, and I spent about 3 hours today reading about this so I'm a little brain dead.

I hadn't read any of it in a few years, and well...reading it and understanding the ovewhelming intensity of feelings, the sexual current pulsing through the text has been an eye opening experience. As I process this, I may post more, but for now WOWWWWWW. What a sexually liberating text overall, at least in its celebration of the physical in conjunction with the emotional.

It's AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment