Friday, November 13, 2009

To Write Love on Her Arms

Today, and probably for the next several days since I chose to use sharpie markers, I will be going around with the word "LOVE" written on both my wrists. There is a reason for this beyond the little kid fun of writing on myself. Today is "To Write Love on Her Arms" Day. To Write Love on Her Arms is a movement inspired by the kind of action that I believe Unconventional Christians understand as the very purpose of the body of Christ.

The story is available here: TWLOHA My Space

A decade ago I met weekly with a young girl who self injured. I always felt helpless in the face of her pain. A decade ago there were few resources out there and even fewer people who were talking about the reality of the hurt our kids cope with in the best ways they can. We muddled along. I don't know how much I "helped" her but I know that to this day she knows, unquestioningly, that I love her.

Today I have the word "LOVE" on my arms and I am hoping that people will ask why. When they do I will tell them about those who struggle with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide...and I will point them to TWLOHA and to hope. Isn't that what the church is supposed to do in the world? Create a space for people to ask questions about why we do what we do and point them to HOPE?

Unfortunately we seem too often to cause people to wonder the wrong thing. Not why we love...but why we hate. Today I have the word LOVE on my arms because I believe in a God who says he IS love and who tells us to be known in the world by our love. May He forgive us when we are not and help us to change that. One act of love at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment